To make or cancel an appointment at the main Writing Center, call 608-263-1992 or visit us in 6171 Helen C. White.
Want to meet with a Writing Center instructor? You have many options:
Welcome! If you are a UW–Madison student, then you can bring almost any writing to the Writing Center. Yearly, more than seven thousand students from across the University—from first-year through doctoral students—benefit by talking and working with a Writing Center instructor. Here's what you can do:
- Get feedback on your writing
- Make the most of your visits
- Find a Writing Center location near you
- Meet your very own Writing Center instructors
After your visit, you'll leave ready to write or revise!
- You and your instructor will work together to meet your writing goals
- Together, we'll review the prompt, plan, or project
- Together, we'll read and talk about your draft or ideas
- You'll leave with concrete plans or writing strategies
Here are some examples of what you can do:
|Undergraduate Students (New, Transfer, or Advanced)||Graduate and Professional Students|
|Understanding assignments and expectations for academic writing
Writing for specific disciplines—including History, Biology, Psychology, and Literature—and many more
Using sources, citations, quoting, and paraphrasing
Thesis statements, paragraphing, and organization
Internship and study abroad applications
Planning for writing longer research papers
Resumes, cover letters, and business writing
Applications for graduate and professional school, scholarships
plus many more!
Planning long-term projects
Revising for publication
Writing and planning for preliminary/qualifying exams
Theses and dissertations
CVs, teaching philosophy statements, and job letters
plus many more!
Here's how to make the most of your visits:
- Come early in the semester and come often
- Know what you want to talk about
- Bring anything that helps explain the assignment or project
- Plan time for revision
Make us a regular part of your college experience!
Your main location is in 6171 Helen C. White Hall.
You can call (608-263-1992) or stop by to make appointments up to 3 weeks in advance.
Choose 30 minutes for shorter papers, 1 hour for longer papers!
Click here for more information.
You can find a satellite location close to you.
Your satellite locations provide drop-in 30-minute tutoring sessions.
Show up early! And often!
See our list of 8 locations and their hours.
Check our Twitter feed for satellite availability.
You have 3 online options:
- You can e-mail if you have 3 business days before your deadline.
- Choose live chat for real-time Skype appointments!
- For a quick question, Ask the Writing Consultant!
Your Writing Center instructors are
- Doctoral level teaching assistants
- Trained and experienced writing teachers and writers themselves
- Supportive, professional consultants who take their cues from you
- Eager to work with you on making your writing projects as successful as humanly possible
Can the Writing Center work with my course?
Most courses do, but check here to see if your course qualifies for Writing Center instruction.
How often can I visit the Writing Center?
1 hour/week or 2 half-hour sessions/week. You may use up to 1 hour of individual instruction per week for a total of 10 hours of instruction time during a semester. This limit lets us serve as many writers as possible!
Want more? Come to one of our great workshops.
Can I bring my laptop/tablet?
Yes! Please do.
Will the instructor proofread my paper?
You can learn so much about grammar, editing, revising, and proofreading at your Writing Center.
You can learn how to revise and proofread your paper.
You can ask any grammar and editing questions.
And you can learn to do this for yourself.
For additional strategies for addressing grammar and style concerns—and much more—take a look at our Writer's Handbook. You may find it helpful to start with these links:
You may also be interested in our grammar and style workshops.