Use this menu to learn about MLA style documentation.
- General information about MLA parenthetical citations
- Citing books, articles, and other sources parenthetically in your paper
- Abbreviating references to your sources
- Formatting quotations according to the MLA guidelines
- Creating an MLA works cited page
MLA Documentation Guide
Formatting quotations according to the MLA guidelines
Use the block quotation format for quotations more than four lines long:
- In most cases, use a colon to introduce the quotation.
- Indent the quotation one inch from the left margin.
- Double-space the quotation.
- Do not use quotation marks.
Place the parenthetical citation (author and page number) after the period (or other mark of punctuation) that closes the block quotation.